Friday, July 01, 2005

Stupid Overheating PC

Well, over the last couple of weeks, some of you will have been aware
that my computer has taken a liking to randomly turning off or
restarting. This can be quite annoying, especially when you are in the
middle of something. I got David to come and take a look at it earlier
this week. He seemed to think that it was an overheating issue. After
much fiddling around in the BIOS, we managed to get it to run reasonably
stable for a while. We turned on the temperature management controls,
and put the fan speed adjustment to automatic. We also turned off the
hyper-threading, and that REALLY made my computer go slow. I think its
working pretty stable now, but I will definitely want to goto a swap
meet and get another heat sync for my CPU, then I can turn
hyper-threading back on.
Wow, that was a really nerdy post. The other things I have been doing
over the past week include going to friends places, running errands for
Dad, chatting on msn and generally killing time. Oh the holidays are so
lazy!
-Andrew

No comments: