Friday, December 08, 2006

The first week of advent

Well, with Christmas coming, I can see now why it is called the silly season. I have had no time to blog!
The last week has been filled with adventure and excitement. Friday was really the day that started off this week. I was lucky enough to go and enjoy the driving course that Chris organized for me to do. The driving course was the BMW Advanced Driver Training course, level one. The course was held at the race track on Phillip Island.
We started off the day with breakfast and some theory training. Chris came along to watch me during the day, and he got to sit in on the theory components as well. Following the theory, I got paired up with my driving buddy for the day. (Neomiah) We jumped into a BMW 325i (I think) and started driving.
We practiced cornering with some witches hats in the car park before setting out for some laps around the race track. I managed to get my car up to 140km/h! I was very excited. Neomiah could get the car going much faster than me, because he owns one pretty much the same as the one we were driving on the track.
The ride in the BMW was really like no other car I have been lucky enough to drive. The car stuck to the road like glue, and was so responsive that getting back into Bruce feels like I am driving a shopping trolley. I loved the gadgets on the inside too, with iDrive and the coolest cup holders ever. They also were fitted with these funky seats, which could extend to accommodate people with longer than average legs. (That's me!)
After our laps around the track, we did a stopping exercise, where the idea was to get your car wheels to lock up and practice controlling the car in a skid. of course, the cars were all fitted with ABS brakes, but they were also fitted with a switch to disable them if need be. All I can say is that it's a bit scary knowing the Bruce is not fitted with ABS brakes! The cars that had ABS on could stop significantly quicker than the cars that were not fitted with ABS.
By the time we had all had a go at stopping in different conditions, it was about time for lunch. Lunch was beautiful, as one should expect from BMW, and was followed by more driving exercises. This exercise was a swerving exercise. The idea was that you had to drive directly at a cone, and the instructor would call out either "left" or "right", indicating the side of the cone you were to pass on. I must admit, it is harder than it sounds... I think I am guilty of running over the cone on more than one occasion.
More laps around the track were just what the doctor ordered after a quick break for some afternoon tea. This time, I managed to reach 160km/h!! I couldn't believe it was me at the wheel of the car at that speed. I took most of the corners well, with just a little drifting on one of the corners (that's a no-no on a advanced-1 course).
To round out the day, we were driven around the track in the instructor's M3! That was heaps of fun, and the instructor was nice enough to let Chris come along with me. (I don't know if he would have been covered by insurance if something went wrong) The M3 got around the track at a lazy 220km/h and drifted around EVERY corner! It was so much fun, I couldn't get the smile off my face all day.
We went straight to Nick's birthday party in Federation Square, stopping off to get some birthday cards and dinner. Chris and I had a little trouble finding Nick's birthday party, because we were supposed to meet at some little known bar right on the banks of the Yarra. I can't even remember what it was called, but it was really close to Transport Bar.
It was really fun to meet some of Nick's other friends and some people from work too. Unfortunately, by this time of the day, my camera battery had died, so there are no birthday photos for Nick. =( Chris and I had to leave the party early to head along to the next birthday party.
Roger had his 21st at some hotel in Port Melbourne (the name escapes me nearly a week later). The party was a lot of fun but he had a severe lack of guests. Maybe the space was just too big for the number of people there? No matter, we had a fun time dancing with Roger and helping him celebrate his birthday. We left around midnight, and headed home.
The highlight of Saturday for me was in th evening. Fiona had her 21st birthday celebration. We shared a meal at the wheelers hill hotel, and got the chance to catch up with lots of friends. It was a great night, and it made me think that we should organize high school get-togethers
more often.
Sunday was a pretty busy day. I started off the day working in the city, taking photos of the balloons. Following work, I quickly came home to prepare for Sunday School. I was supposed to lead Sunday School, so I made up a little craft activity for the kids. It was an advent calendar that you could have a lolly for every day leading up to Christmas. The kids seemed to enjoy themselves, and some of their advent calendars looked fantastic!
Following church, Chris's Mum had a linen party. It's like a tupperware party, but for linen. I was quite surprised at the range of products available, and the quality of the designs. I went along to the party to support Janet, and was planning on not spending anything. By the end of the party, I had spent the most out of anyone! And on top of that, I have booked a linen party for early next year! hehe. (Chris reckons it's my queer side coming through)
Monday was my first day at my new job. I am now working in middle management of Oates Clean. =) It's very exciting. I can't believe I actually have a real job! I have to admit though, the first few days this week have taken a lot out of me. Oates is about 1.5 hours drive from my house, so I have to leave fairly early in the morning to get there on time. By the time I get home I am buggered, and really just want to sleep. How does everyone else work full time? It's so tiring!
Work is really great fun, but I can't really tell you much more than that, because of a confidentiality agreement with Oates. I have to work with new and existing product as well as new and existing suppliers. It's pretty exciting. The highlight of Monday was that I was included in my first teleconference. It was just like on TV! I was really surprised at how well it worked.
Monday night was the last "Upper Room" for the year. (www.morepraxis.com.au) As usual, Chris and I ate the fold-over pizza thing and some wedges. The theme for this week was the consumerist Christmas rush. Can you get by at Christmas time without buying yourself silly?
Tuesday night Chris, Janet and I went to Anthony's chinese restaurant. Anthony came to join us for a chat and to return my salad bowl from the party we had the other night.
Wednesday was spectacularly uneventful. It was great! I went to bed at 9pm.Thursday night, Chris and I did some shopping, and I turned my phone into Three for repair. They are sending it away for repair, and hopefully I will have it done before Christmas. I discovered this morning that the camera on the loan phone they gave me doesn't work either, so I will have to visit them tonight as well! Three is annoying me lately.
I think that's about all the news for now, so I hope that gets everyone up to speed.

No comments: