Thursday, March 23, 2006

Pictures

Scrolling through my blog, I have come to the realisation that I have turned my blog into some sort of live photo album. Oh, gotta love the digital age.
As you can see from the photos, I went to a bbq yesterday. The bbq was organised by the Hybrid PDE club, as a way of extracting membership fees from its members. It appears to have worked, with a pretty good turn out. Considering that the event was organised about a day before it was to be run. Somehow, Linda and Ash convinced me that I should become secretary of the club for this year. It is supposed to involve taking minutes at the planning meeting once a year. So that sounds manageable. Linda is the vice president.
Chris and I had to leave the bbq early, so that we were not late for the athletics. They were running at the MCG, which is not far from Hawthorn (where the bbq was). We got there in time, and managed to find our seats near the front. We watched as many events as we could, including the high jump, long jump, sprints, javelin, shot put, and steeple chase. The highlight of the night for me was in the steeple chase event.
The girls competing in the steeple chase had quite a challenge ahead of them. The event is a little like hurdles in that they have to jump over things. One of the things they have to jump over has a pool of water no the other side of it! Look at the picture I posted earlier today to see how it works. Anyway, in this race there was a stand out performance. I dont know her name, but she came from one of the poor african countries. She was alot shorter than the other girls, and she was built a little more stocky. She didn't start off the race as well as the other girls, bringing up the back of the pack. She was quite a way behind the next runner, but in the last half of the race she seemed to have a sudden spurt of energy, overtaking two of the competitors in front of her. When she finished the race, she was 3rd last! Thats a performance I wouldn't have expected from watching her in the start of the race. She was inspirational, even more so than the aussie girls that all ran their personal bests.
Today, Chris and I are off to see the diving. Its at the Melbourne Sports and Aquatic center, in Albert Park. It should be good, we have seats in row b, I think thats just the second row from the front.

No comments: