Sunday, July 16, 2006

The work week

This last week has been very hectic. Most of the week was spent
working at Kmart and Alfresco. I have a real appreciation for anyone
who works full time after this last week.
I suppose I should start with last Sunday, which I spent most of the
day at Kmart, only getting along to evening church at Glen Waverly.
Jules delivered a touching reflection about Jonah and his adventures
inside the fish. Jules also shared a story about a young man who was
probably about my age, I would like to share it with you now:
There once was a young man who had not always been faithful to his
family. He moved out when he was a teenager, and went to fend for
himself in the big city. He never made contact with his family, and
had nothing to do with them because he was so wrapped up in his own
life. One day he realised that something was missing from his life,
and decided to go home and try to re-connect with his family. He wrote
them a letter explaining the train he planned on catching, and
instructed them to leave a white handkerchief in the window if they
wanted him to visit. He also said that he would understand if they
didn't want to see him. His family could have moved address for all he
knew, so he was not expecting anything much from his visit to his home
town. He got off the train, and nobody was there to meet him. He
walked down the streets he used to be familiar with, and got to within
a block of his old house. When he walked around the corner, he could
see the family's home, with a white handkerchief hanging on the
letterbox, and another in the window...... and a white sheet hanging
in the window... and a white blanket hanging from the roof... in fact,
every white cloth the family owned was out on display. The message was
clear... DUH! Of course we want to see you! We love you.

Monday during the day I was hard at work drafting carports and
verandahs for Alfresco. That night I didn't have work at Kmart, so we
organised to go out for dinner and DarkZone with the cousins while
Doug was down from Queensland. It was quite enjoyable, and we managed
to win DarkZone! (Go RED team!) Unfortunately, during the game, Chris
decided to walk backwards, and he fell down some stairs while he was
trying to avoid the laser beams! After DarkZone, we headed to a LAN
games place that Matt knew of, and played a couple games of Counter
Strike.
Tuesday night, I had my first chance at trying to feed the cats and
dog at Barbara's house. I was house sitting for the week, so the cats
had to get used to a new person bringing them food and drinks.
Tuesday I was hard at work again, drafting my little heart out from
8.30 til 5, then working at Kmart from 5.30 til 9. I ended up getting
home at about 9.30, by which time the poor animals must have been very
hungry!
I think my day on Tuesday was indicative of the rest of the week, with
work filling in most of my time. The animals at the house got fed
around 7.30 am and around 9.30 pm, which I don't think is quite what
they were used to!
Highlights from the week included tasting decadent chocolate cookies
for the first time, after talking to Michael. He said that Kmart was
famous for them, so I just had to try some! LOL.
Another highlight of the week was Saturday night. Although I had been
working all day, Chris and I managed to make it down to Thelma and
Tony's house to celebrate Tony's 50th birthday. We left around 1am,
which was a little later than I had expected, but it was worth it.
Today is my first day off in 2 weeks, and I spent the day going to
church, then doing the shopping with Chris. Chris's family has decided
that from now on everyone has to fend for themselves as far as food
goes. This means yet another expense, and more fussing over food. I
guess it's all ok though, because it's just another stage in growing
up. I had better get used to it.

No comments: