Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Week One

Well, semester two (or teaching period four) began this week. It's not
as exciting as I had imagined. We have two engineering classes that seem
like they will actually be quite challenging, and a double design subject.
The engineering subjects cover mainly techniques and principals, with
little focus being on calculations or anything boring like that. While I
enjoy subjects like this during classes during the year, I usually don't
go so well when it comes to exam time. Maybe it's because there is just
such a great volume of information to remember... I guess I am stuck
with these subjects, so I can't really complain.
The design portion of this semester consists of a couple little classes.
One of the classes is learning to use FEA (Finite Element Analysis) with
3D models that were developed in Solidworks. Another of the classes is a
series of lectures about plastics. These classes are accompanied by two
design projects, one is to design some tap-ware for a design competition
run by reece design. The other project is a design for retail project,
and seems pretty difficult really.
Well, enough about the boring news.... onto the highlight of the week,
Friday. When I arrived home on Friday, I discovered a little brown box
had been delivered for me. I guessed it was my laptop, and then
confirmed this by checking the shipping stickers. YAY! It has finally
arrived. Unfortunately, I had to work on Friday night, so I took the
entire brown box over to Chris's house for opening after work. It was
very exciting.
Once I opened the box there was a smaller box contained within. The
small box was printed on the outside with very smexy artwork showing the
MacBook in all it's glory. I couldn't wait to unwrap it and find the
little white box inside. The laptop was so carefully packed it was
almost as if more effort was put into the packaging than the actual
device itself. Upon opening and switching on the MacBook, it became
clear that this was most certainly not the case! There were only about 2
or 3 setup screens, and then we were in, starting up for the first time.
Everything just works! It's ridiculous! I love it.
I have been playing with it ever since, and am using it everywhere I go.
It's so cute and little. hehe. I couldn't be more happy. Now I just need
to put some of my more important programs onto it, such as solidworks
and photoshop etc...

No comments: