Friday, August 04, 2006

Week Two

Well, it's the end of the second week of university classes and i still
feel totally unprepared for the semester ahead. I've had a couple
classes in metal forming, which I don't feel like I am getting anything
out of. The good news is that I am actually enjoying some of our
plastics and polymers lectures. (This may explain why all modern
designers prefer to use plastic over metal)
Thursday afternoon was an unusual time. I have no classes scheduled, so
usually I try and work with Alfresco doing drafting work. However when I
called to see if they had any work for me to do I discovered that Steve,
my supervisor, had been sacked. It's an awkward position to be in. He
said they didn't need me that day though. So I went to get a air cut and
then spent the rest of my day at home, working on tap-ware designs.
The highlight from today was that I was able to go on an outing with
uni. It's for that retail design class, and the aim of our little
expedition into the city was to get a feel for what kinds of products
can be successfully marketed in retail stores on a small scale. Some of
the most interesting objects were manufactured from polyprop sheeting,
which is fairly flimsy until it is folded or bent into a shape. Another
notable design was a necklace in the shape of a dinosaur skeleton. It
was made from lazer cut acrylic, and cost about $200 retail.

No comments: