Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Reflections from my 21st.

Wow! I have been so busy since last Friday that I have barely had time to think! I am going to try and write down a few things about the party before I forget it totally.
Well, I guess I should start with Friday morning, when I had to arise around 3.45am to go and take photos for the balloonists. The good thing about staring early is that you also get to finish reasonably early too.
Once I came home, I set to work organizing all the last minute details for my birthday party. I scanned images to make a slideshow and Russell taught me how to make one that's totally random! Mum had taken the day off her work, so she could go and organize the balloons and that sort of stuff. I had a nap in the afternoon, so I could not be too tired for my party.
We got to the party a little early to try and set up. Chris, Mum and I stuck my home-made centerpieces to the tables and mum put the balloons around on a couple tables. Then before I knew it, guests started arriving!
I then proceeded to spend the rest of the night chatting with guests and socializing. It was fantastic to see so many people there. Peter even made a big effort to travel a couple hours to help me celebrate. (At short notice thanks to Australia Post being really slow.)
So the first half of the night was in full swing, with lots of people socializing amongst themselves. Chris was taking care of meeting and greeting people at the door, and he organized so that everyone had drink cards and knew where the giant card was to sign.

Speaking of signing things, Mauris, Diana, Scott, Quang, Linda and Quoc bought me a giant Puppy-Dog lamp. It's like a white-board in that you can write messages on it and rub them off later. It instantly got set up in the corner for people to sign. My only worry is that now I won't be able to bring myself to rub off anyone's comments.
Around 9pm we decided to do speeches, before the DJ started. Dad delivered a great speech which Mum had written for him, thank goodness it was not too embarrassing. I am not sure how closely Dad followed what Mum had planned, because the light was dim, and he appeared to be having trouble reading his notes.
Once Dad had completed his speech, Barbara delivered a very touching speech. I almost teared up. Then it was my turn to speak. I don't know really what I said, I just remember being very thankful to everyone. I can remember looking out over the room and seeing every face looking back at me, every one was someone special to me, and I felt so special.
After the speeches there was dancing! Linda managed to get Dad to come and dance with all my uni friends too! I had such fun dancing the night away, and as the night went on, more and more people came! Church youth group played dark zone that night, so a lot of church people could not make it until after the dark zone had finished. It was so great to see everyone come along though.
As people started leaving, I tried to get a photo with each guest. I am not sure how well I did at that, but I have some great photos of the night! I went home around 2am, when Shine was closing. I was so tired, but so happy. Nobody could wipe the smile off my face.

No comments: