Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Lent

Yesterday was Shrove Tuesday, the day of feasting before lent. The tradition is to make and eat as many pancakes as you can on this day. I think it started because back in the day, you had to use up all your flour before the 40 days of lent. In modern times, this is seen more as a symbolic gesture, marking the start of lent and providing a chance for church communities to come together for some bonding time.
Needless to say, last night was a pancake party at Ferntree Gully Uniting Church. Chris and I went along, and ate heaps of pancakes with ice cream and chocolate. (It's a combination made in heaven) We caught up with Scott and Sue, and had a chat with Rita and Richard, as well as Pat, and Sue. Everyone seemed very excited about the house, and were asking about how the move went.
The move is going well, but I am still so tired that I can just barely stay awake on the train to work. Our evening schedule is as busy as ever, with only having one meal at home in the new house so far this week. I suspect that we will probably have 2 nights this week when we can stay home and just do whatever.
For lent, you are supposed to give up something, as a symbolic sort of fasting. I have no idea what I should give up (if anything) over the period of lent. Chris suggested that I should give up living in Boronia, which I found sort of amusing. Does that mean after easter I will move back to Mum and Dad's? LOL

No comments: