Friday, February 09, 2007

Waring factions or working together for a common goal?

My question to ponder today came about while I was listening to Joy FM today on my way to work. OK, so Joy is not exactly your mainstream radio station, they try and act as a support hub for the GLBTI community in Melbourne and around the world (they stream via the web). Today they had a guest speaker on the morning program who was speaking about the proposed 'relationship registry' which is to be voted on next Tuesday night.
The registry is a way for couples (regardless of sexual preference) to formally honor their relationship in the eyes of the public. The last time that the proposal was up in-front of the Melbourne City Council, four members opposed the registry. The man on the radio was urging everyone, even if they don't live in the area, to write in and show their support for the proposal via email.
The man started discussing that the proposal was about equality, justice, recognition, and reconciliation. The proposal is a small step towards equal rights for everyone in Australia.

Then came my revelation.

This message of peace, support, and justice was sounding familiar. Where had I heard all these things before? ..... Church. Jesus (and his church) has always been on about giving hope and equality to those in our society who are isolated and on the edges.
I began to wonder why such an uplifting and empowering message came from Joy FM, and not Light FM (which I also have preset on my radio). Especially when Light FM is the station that is supposed to be "bringing a message of hope" to Melbourne?
Upon further pondering this situation, I began thinking about Light FM. When was the last time that I did feel that the message was one of hope, peace and love that spoke directly to me? My answer was frank... a very long time ago. The "message of hope" seems to be only for people who want a family, or those who want to be cookie-cutter Christians. The messages revolve around how God wants you to deal with debt, why the church needs your money and the best ways to keep your children abstinent. Is that what God sent Jesus to us for? I don't think so. Do you?
Where is the news of injustice in the community? Where is the news of people standing up for their neighbor? Where is the news of life.....

Personally, I would like to see the relationship register passed. Not because I want to be able to sign up, but because it's one step closer to making an Australia that will not discriminate against any minority group. I would like to be proud to say I am an Australian, I am a Christian, and I am gay, without feeling that any of the terms contradict each other.

No comments: