Monday, February 12, 2007

Trendy

At times I have wondered if there is any more perfect place than South Yarra's Chapel Street. It's got the perfect mix of old and new architecture, is well serviced by trains and trams, is shopping heaven AND is really close to my university. But today I found out that my beloved Chapel Street is undergoing a transformation of sorts....
The old "Fun Factory" building on the corner of Chaps and Toorak is getting demolished to make way for a shiny new Apple Inc. flagship store! This is the best news ever, because not only do we get rid of an eyesore and several B, or even C-grade, fashion shops, but we are able to welcome Melbourne's first proper Apple store.
http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2483
As you can see from the article, the new complex is quite impressive, and will give homes to lots more trendy and cool people in the most perfect place in the world. Not to mention the new hotel and more trendy shops. =)
The complex was inspired by the US Apple flagship store, which is in New York City, and takes the form of a glass cube atrium. Apparently, they have to employ a full time glass cleaner just to keep it looking awesome, I wonder if they will have to do the same on the Melbourne version....
Is anyone else excited about this? Or is it just me? (oops, am I turning into an Apple freak?)

1 comment:

Michael Wheatland said...

"Not Trendy"
1. Chapel Street is not trendy, it is the home of Gukki Sunglass wearing, Dolcy and Gabano Bag toting w@nkers.
2. I am glad that apple is opening its first store in Melbourne, that way I can actually go and get my iPod repaired the 6 or 7 times I need to before I replace it in about 12 months time with a Zune Phone.
3. I am glad apple is opening the shop there, because it is the one place in the whole of the Melbourne Metro area that is TOTALLY inaccessible by car (Traffic Jams) and public transport (Traffic Jams with Trams!), so it will be $200 million that apple spends, and will not recoup, hopefully making apple collapse. I don't quite know how a manufacturer with only one (profitable) product is able to spend this much money on a store that looks almost exactly like the new Melbourne Central Facade (CNR LaTrobe and Swanston).

But thank you for the heads up. I will make sure I take a few rocks to give apple for their glass house next time I head along Toorak Rd.(In 2009)