Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Since I last wrote...

Well, my life has sort of had a dramatic twist since I last wrote a proper entry. I will break down the series of events into a logical day by day order.

Friday
I spent today doing homework, calling people, you know all the normal stuff that I have to do when I am not at any uni classes. I managed to get through a whole bunch of questions for thermodynamics, and squeeze in some study for the upcoming test before going to work. After work, I went to Chris's place, and we got ready to goto the foam party.
The foam party was awesome, and I would love to goto another one. Apparently they have them yearly. The foam was up around your neck when you were dancing on the dance floor, which I thought was so cool. It looks funny and feels funny too. It is almost impossible to spot people in the crowd if you are looking for someone in particular. I think next time we should wear glow-sticks, or hats so that we can spot each other in the foam! It turned out to be an awesome night, we only got home around 5.30am, so that was a pretty good effort.

Saturday
I slept until about 12.30 in the afternoon. Chris was up at 9am to get to a hairdressers appointment he had booked. (why so early in the morning, I have no idea) Once Chris finally dragged me out of bed we went to the football. Chris had gotten free tickets from a supplier at work, and so we took Paul along too. The Western Bulldogs were playing against Melbourne. Chris, Paul and I go for the Doggies, so we were all quite pleased when the Bulldogs started to win. They ended up winning, even though at quarter time they were about 2 goals down I think. After the game, we dropped Paul back home, taking the opportunity to have a quick squiz at his new place. It's very nice, quite homely.
Chris and I then headed to Brendan's 21st birthday party, which was being held at the rover hall. It was so much fun! There was a BBQ and cake, and the rovers presented Brendan with a special gift. (more about the gift when I get up to putting photos online!) We couldn't hang out at Brendan's party for as long as we wanted to, because Gavin had a party for his 20th on at the same time. Gavin's party was also mega fun, and allowed us to see what Evan is really like after hitting the grog. (I'll put photos of that up too... HEHEHE)
At Gavin's party I felt a sort of stitch in my stomach start to grow. It felt like the kind of pain you get if you drink too much before running a race or something. I didn't think much of it, so I went home and tried to sleep it off.

Sunday
I woke up and went about my normal daily business. I got ready to goto church, realizing that the pain in my gut was still there. I thought that it was a little odd that it hadn't completely gone away, but didn't think much of it. I though maybe it was something I had eaten. When I got to church, I discovered I was on Sunday school duty. (which I had forgotten about) Fortunately, Heather had a good idea, and got the kids to start writing cards to the church's sponsor child, Ramtula. He is turning 12 shortly, so the kids and I made him pop-up birthday cards.
I went practically straight back to sleep after church, to try and sleep off the pain in my guts, but it was not much use. Chris woke me to take me to a concert I had promised to go with him to. It was put on by a group of singers from all the different churches around the area. They sing twice a year, once at easter and once for christmas. The music was beautiful, and I am sure I would have enjoyed it much more if I wasn't doubled over in pain. Chris enjoyed it, I felt kind of bad that we had to rush off straight away after the concert because I was feeling so horrible.
On the way home we stopped at the pharmacy and picked up some medicine. I took the reccomended dosage, and it seemed to work a little. I could sleep at least. I woke up about 3 hours later in extream pain. The pain was jabbing me in my guts, and after I got Janet to have a look at it, she decided I had better visit the emergency room. Chris took me home first, and then Mum took me to the Angliss Hospital in Upper Ferntree Gully.
I had never been to hospital before, so this trip was quite an ordeal for me. Mum waiting in the line to see the triage nurse, while I sat in the waiting room doubled over in pain. There was a stupid woman infrom of Mum in the line that wanted to have a chat about all her aches and pains... I felt like telling her to buzz off, and let the real sick people get treatment. When it was finally our turn to talk to the triage nurse, they took me straight in and dosed me up with Morphene. (I don't know if thats how to spell it) They took blood, and a urine sample before leaving me with a tube hanging out of my arm. They hooked up this tube wo a drip to re-hydrate me because I had not drunk enough water that day.
I was admitted to ward 2 west, bed 16, around 10.30pm, and was put onto a strict diet of nothing. No food, no water. Not one single thing could go in my mouth.

Monday
The doctors came by early the next morning to see me. I had to be assessed as to weather they thought they could operate or not. Lucky for me thay thought they could operate, but that was only after hours and hours of waiting around. I went into the operating theatre around 8.30pm, and came out around 10.00pm. I told the nurse that they hadn't operated because they didn't get me to count to 10 with the anesthetic. I guess I was blabbing so much that they didn't have to encourage me too much to talk my way into the anesthetic. I guess at least the nurses found me entertaining, if not anything else. After the operation I was wrecked! I went straight to sleep, and slept pretty comfortably until about 9am on Tuesday.

Tuesday
I woke up to the noise of a jackhammer outside the window. They are building a hydro-therapy pool for the hospital rehab ward, so the building is almost never ending. Today I felt pretty good, even if "pretty good" was still limited movement and slow reflexes. Today I wasn't being starved. I was allowed to drink water in the morning, and by lunchtime I was allowed to drink cordial! By dinner time I had moved up to chicken broth, and by bed time I was allowed milo. I don't think I have ever gotten so excited over chicken broth in my entire life! It was the first food I had been allowed in 2 days, and I think almost anything would have tasted good to me.

Wednesday
Finally I am allowed to eat some proper food. I ate toast, and cornflakes. Whatever people tell you about hospital food, it is probably true. One meal there was quite enough for me. I managed to give myself a nice shower, and get dressed all by myself, even if it did take about 10 times as long as I usually take at home! Dad came to pick me up around 10.30am, and soon I was free. The hospital did however give me a pretty good selection of pills that I need to take regularly to manage the pain and risk of infection.
When I got home I spent hours reading e-mails and blogs... Catching up on the news since I went into hospital. I also spent a little time putting reminders into my phone so I don't forget to take my tablets. Anyways, I think I have blabbed long enough, and anyone who actually read all this should be congratulated, because I know I blab on alot! I'm going to try and post up some photos, but I don't know how successful I will be.

Thank you to everyone who came to visit me in hospital and everyone who sent me messages (yes, i was naughty and used my phone in hospital) It was so good to know that you were thinking of me. I really got alot of nice surprises during my stay in hospital. I also decided that it isn't that scary a place, all the staff are very nice, and actually care about you.
I hope everyone else had a less eventful start to the week than I did, and that this message finds you safe and sound.

No comments: