Monday, May 15, 2006

Mothers Day

Well, happy mothers day guys. (Or should I be more politically correct, and say girls?) Yesterday was mothers day, and as usual, the day was so busy I don't know how anyone could possibly enjoy it. This hallmark holiday is possibly one of the most annoying times of the entire year. Why is it that I feel pressured to buy Mum something? And why did I give in to that pressure?
I bought my Mum a new vase, and some pretty flowers to put in it. Dad wasn't going to get Mum anything until peter prompted him. While Mum and I were at church in the morning, Dad and Peter were out shopping for a present for Mum. Talk about last minute. It was actually pretty funny, because Mum forgot her keys to the house, and was angry because she got locked out after church and had to wait for Peter and Dad to get back from the shops. LOL. Dad, in all his wisdom, decided to ease the situation by presenting Mum with a bunch of flowers... I don't think she was as impressed with that as Dad anticipated. LOL.
Church in the morning on Mothers Day is always run by the men of the congregation. This year, because I am on the worship planning team I was given the task of trying to put together a service for the morning. Tony helped me, and kindly offered to do the sermon for me. Most of the hymns were Tony's suggestions, which turned out a little different to how I would have hoped..... but in the end I think everyone enjoyed themselves. It was kind of difficult to organise everyone to do each little bit, but I guess that's something I'm going to have to get used to.
Another tradition in my church is that every mothers day, the ladies of the church are presented with a flower upon arrival. You might remember me pricing flowers earlier this month and writing about it on my blog. I went back to the place I had priced the flowers at on the morning of mothers day only to find that all the prices had almost doubled. What cheeky little... grrr... I ended up buying them there anyway, even though I probably should have refused, out of the principle of the thing.
The afternoon on mothers day was spent at Grandma and Grandpa's place, as is the usual custom. This year was a little different, because Grandpa had to be brought home from the nursing home so that we could all have a meal with him, and then be taken back "home" again fairly early, because he was tired. It's the first time I have seen him since he was placed in the nursing home, which I know is not the most ideal situation. His legs have gotten very skinny, and I don't know how much progress he is making towards recovering his ability to walk. It must be so lonely and disheartening for Grandma. I guess it was nice to be just like old times for a little while at least... when everyone leaves, I can't imagine how lonely it would be.
In the evening, Chris and I went to church. This month's theme is religions around the world. Yesterday's focus was religion in Central and South America. Jules had even organised guest speakers who were from Mexico and Ecuador.
Today, I have spent the day working on my essay for human factors, and have decided that I don't care enough about "the effects of checkout design on supermarket cashiers" to write a whole 4000 words on it. I really hope the rest of our group gets inspired to work on it a little too.
Tonight is a social night for 18 plus, and we are having Mexican food. how appropriate.

No comments: