Thursday, June 01, 2006

Beverly

Well, the past two days I have been working with Mauris, Diana and Linda on the weir warman seed distributor project. The idea is to invent a device that will run through a track and distribute a 'seed' into each of the areas along the sides of the track. Our device is pretty basic compared to many of the other groups. Our device is made from blue foam and other found objects, so she's full of character! I named her 'Beverly' about two weeks ago, and the name has just stuck. Beverly is doing quite well at parts of the course, but she is still experiencing some technical issues. We have done so many test runs I have forgotten what improvements we have made, and what improvements still need to be made. It's a tedious process, and is beginning to frustrate me.
What frustrates me more is the fact that the day before the major project is due, the university is unable to extend the opening hours for the race track, so we had to make our own. Our special track is marked out using masking tape in the student union building. We found the floor of the old bistro to be quite a good running surface, so we have taken over this space, using it at a test track and temporary office/workshop. I really hope the union does not mind.
The union has no use for this space apparently. There is very little activity in this building. I guess it's because of the VSU bill that Mr Howard has insisted on. It's not good news for student services. Anyways I guess I can gripe about this later. I really should get back to work now. LOL.

No comments: